Sunday, December 20, 2009

The newspaper boy


He delivers newspapers to my house every day. Took him forever to start though. At first I was approached by the guy who sells the subscription offer of having it delivered to your house at no extra cost, actually at less the cost then it takes to come all the way from your house to the store. Half the price, so, hey—I’m happy.

I avoided him at first, then after giving him the freeze for the first few times I thought hey, let’s just hear what the guy has to say. And after hearing what a great offer they had going it was hard to refuse. So I bought it, and he promised me that the papers would start being distributed by the beginning of December. Great I said, only problem was that I’d be out of town from the beginning of next month.

No problem. I knew the guy who was going to be making the drops to my place so I at least knew who I had to catch if the papers didn’t turn up like they were supposed to. And, add to that, I knew the guy’s name who sold me the subscription and I had a number where I could get in touch with him. No problem right, right.

Wrong! Big mistake. If you ever have a choice of getting your paper delivered to you by someone who you have had never deliver to you, it’s better to take a pass then to get stuck up in the mess that I just did. Especially if he’s a guy who you happen to be friends with and you don’t want to come off as standoffish. And especially if you’re the type of guy who happens to be a people pleaser. Ooh boy.

Anyway, long story short, while I’m out of town and the subscription date passes by, I find out that the guy who’s supposed to be delivering the paper isn’t doing so, I get upset, and then decide to give him a dressing down. Not only has it not come for the first of December, but it hasn’t come for the following days as well.

Now I’m steamed. The first day that I come, I reach home by noon. I rest for awhile, take care of all of my clothes, get dressed and then I’m out the house. I first head for the paper guy and he’s not there. His mom is. I tell her that I’ve bought a subscription for this paper from her store and that her son is supposed to deliver it to my house and show her the receipt. She looks at it, takes a paper from the bundles she’s got and say’s her son will deliver the paper from tomorrow onwards.

That was the first day. Second day, I’m waiting for the morning paper again, and it doesn’t show up. I put on my slippers and I’m walking out to his booth again. It’s quite close by, like a 2 minute walk from my place. He’s not there, again. Mom’s there, and she sees me and tells me that her son was just about to come.

Oh oh, what looks like an accident is turning out to be some kind of a plot to steal the subscription away from me I fear. No worries, we’ll see what happens the next day. Next day, same thing happens again and this time I’m mad. I make up my mind to give the lady a piece of my mind if I see her again, but it’s not her this time, it’s her son sitting in her spot.

Relieved I go and tell him that he’s supposed to deliver my paper from now on and that he was supposed to start from the first of this month, but it had already been the 13th. The guy apologizes and gives me the paper and tells me that he’ll be delivering it from tomorrow. I take the day’s paper and go home.

Today comes and there’s still no paper. I don’t know what to do. I want to go and bash the guy for cheating me into this horrible stint. I tell my mother to yell at him if she happens to see him but she’s too busy unpacking her clothes as she’s just returned from her trip. I go to my room and lie down and feel myself going into another depressive episode again. I’m bipolar.

Fifth day, and just when I had given hope—thwak—I hear the newspaper sounding after falling on the ground. I go outside and am greeted by the day’s paper. A couple of hours late, yeah, sure, but at least it’s here. Of course, that is one of the drawbacks. I can’t read the paper early in the morning. I have to wait until it’s delivered to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
Hyderabad, India
a bundle of nerves, wrapped in a riddle, dying to get out